What to Look for in a Pediatric Dentist in Granada Hills CA
The combination of a good at-home dental care routine and regular dental visits for preventive care is important to keep your child’s primary teeth clean and free from disease-causing plaque, which is responsible for enamel erosion and subsequent tooth damage, infections, and decay. Part of this good care involves finding the right pediatric dentist for your child.
Pediatric dentistry is one of the nine specialties recognized by the American Dental Association, which focuses on the dental health of children. These professionals are trained on multiple aspects of child psychology, and can effectively create a fun, friendly, and social atmosphere for children attending dental appointments for routine check-ups or treatment.
When it comes to finding a good pediatric dentist, you should look for:
- A kid-friendly dental office that is designed to meet the unique needs of children by providing a degree of freedom with fun activities, games, child-sized chairs, friendly staff, bright walls with exciting pictures and graphics, entertainment features like cartoons or movies, and so on.
- The team should use of kid-friendly language. This means avoiding the use of words like ‘needle’, ‘shot’, or ‘drill’ to avoid creating anxiety and dental phobias.
- Emphasis on the importance of proper care and maintenance of baby teeth because they play a critical role in facilitating proper speech, good chewing habits, and also hold space for the permanent teeth to grow into
- Access to smaller tools and less scary equipment, and removing anything that is unlikely to be used for children treatments.
- Focus on delivering relevant treatments to help prevent decay and tooth damage, such as dental sealants, fluoride treatments, mouth guards, and so on.
- Ability to help ease a child’s dental anxiety by providing treatments in a gentle manner and using comforting or soothing words.
- A place where your child is likely to receive all or most of their dental care until the age of 18 years. Working with one dentist who’s familiar with your child’s oral problems makes it easier to follow up on the needed dental care for optimal oral health.
Ensuring that your child has a pleasant experience during dental appointments is important for their long-term oral health, as they will be more willing to keep regular checkups and seek timely treatment when problems arise. Learn more about pediatric dentistry by contacting your children’s dentist in Granada Hills CA to schedule an appointment.